Here is a quick update on Salesforce.com plan to offer map-based features as part of the Spring '15 release.
With the Spring '15 release*, Salesforce.com are offering new mapping features:
- Display of map images where any standard address field is sufficiently populated**. This functionality will be available through the desktop interface and the Salesforce1 Mobile app.
- Standard Visualforce components for map creation.
- Address suggestion and auto-completion available when editing address fields.
*Currently targeted for February 2015; date subject to change
**To qualify for maps display, the Spring '15 feature requires that the address must meet the following criteria: (street AND city AND (state OR postal code OR country). Criteria is subject to change for future releases.
The maps display on standard address fields and address suggestions will be auto-enabled in production instances* as part of the Spring '15 release.
If you wish to disable this technology, please notify Salesforce by December 3rd, 2014. To submit an opt-outrequest, please complete the following steps**:
- From your Salesforce org, click to access Help & Training
- Click on Contact Support
- Click on Open a Case
- Select "Feature Opt Out" from the 'I need assistance with' picklist
- Select "Mapping Services Opt Out" from the Product Topics picklist
- Click Submit
**You will need to submit a request for each org that you wish to opt out.
All in all, we are excited about this new functionality within Salesforce.com. What do you think?
About the Author
Andrew Bartels is a partner at PS Advisory, a firm dedicated to helping Insurance Agencies and other professional services organizations deploy and customize Salesforce.com, implement best practices and generate an ROI. Andrew has been CTO for a Top 100 Independent Insurance Agency, and is recognized by Salesforce.com as one of the leading innovators of implementing Salesforce.com in the insurance vertical.
Learn more at www.psadvisory.com